COST-Africa brought together the team of 6 supervising surgeons for a 2 day meeting held at Cresta Golfview hotel, Lusaka on the 6th and 7th May 2015. The objectives of the surgeons’ oversight team meeting and workshop were discussed and met:
· to review and analyze data from intervention and control hospitals taking part in the COST-Africa study,
· to discuss obstacles to surgery at the district level,
· to discuss any other obstacles, attitudes and concerns of the Medical Licentiates
· to identify opportunities for strengthening and monitoring Level 1 hospital surgical supervision and referral networks
· to discuss lesson learnt from the project and to chart a way forward.